|Wow! Our local birth center in Santa Rosa reached
the 3000 mark this month. This makes my doula self VERY happy. Why
choose a birth center as a place to labor and birth your baby?
- Midwifery care!
- A sense of control and involvement.
- A calm, soothing, private and family-centered environment.
- The absence of routine medical interventions such as IV fluids, continuous electronic fetal monitoring (which keeps you in bed) and separation from your baby.
- All medical equipment such as IV's, oxygen and infant resuscitation equipment are available when needed.
- A network of relationships with doulas, childbirth educators, laboratories, specialists, obstetricians and nearby hospitals if the need arises for transport to a medical environment.
- A lot of encouragement for a drug-free birth.
- Freedom of movement and choice of positioning as well as the ability to eat and drink during labor.
- Access to bathtubs for your comfort during labor.
- Breastfeeding help and encouragement.
- A warm and comfortable physical environment.
- They are based on a model of care that sees pregnancy and birth as a normal life event and not a medical event.
- Lower costs (about a third of what a hospital birth costs).
- Speedier checkout with you headed home 12 to 24 hours after birth.
Our local birth center's mission to develop a supportive environment that families want and need to better birth their babies is definitely being realized. So happy to live in an area where this is possible.